Last year I had multiple students win awards with this exhibition! I highly suggest students apply, and if you are interested, come talk to me during a lab class if you are stuck between which images to submit and we can discuss it. :)
VOICES: SPEAKING WITH YOUR PHOTOGRAPHIC EYE
Viewpoint Photographic Art Center invites all college and high school students of photography to submit photographs for an exhibition hosted by VIEWPOINT and the CROCKER ART MUSEUM.
This exhibition, entitled VOICES: SPEAKING WITH YOUR PHOTOGRAPHIC EYE, will run from March 26 to April 26,2020, in conjunction with Sacramento Photography Month 2020, which is happening citywide throughout the month of April.
Voices: Speaking With Your Photographic Eye
Photographs capture a moment in time, speaking about everything from the quality of light, the action, or stillness of the moment, to telling a story. It is your perspective on that moment. And at the same time it can be the story from another person’s experience. Whether you are interested in the work of photographers such as Ansel Adams and Galen Rowell, or street photographers such as Danny Lyon, Louis Stettner, Dorthea Lange and many other documentarians, or Annie Leibovitz and Cindy Sherman who create whole characters, there is a voice that speaks to you in the images you are drawn to study. As you approach making an image or images to submit, think about what you want to convey to the viewers, what story do you want them to see? Use your creative imagination as you think about what you want to photograph and what you choose to submit to this Call for Entries.
KEY POINTS ABOUT SUBMITTING FOR THIS EXHIBIT
- Limited to two (2) entries per student. There is no cost to
- Each submitted image must be made by the student submitting the image.
- Images may represent any approaches to the theme
- All entrants must be currently enrolled in a college or high school (Fall 2019), or were enrolled in Spring 2019. There is no age restriction.
- Jurying of the exhibit will be based on digital image files emailed to Viewpoint at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Viewpoint’s Juror will select approximately 65 images for Exhibition.
- The First, Second and Third Place winners will receive cash awards in the amount of $150, $100 and $75 respectively. All students whose work is accepted will receive a free one-year Viewpoint membership.
- The Crocker Art Museum will host, in conjunction with Viewpoint, a Reception for the Exhibition on Sunday, April 19, 2020 from 1:00-2:30pm, for all exhibitors, their guests, and Viewpoint members. Refreshments will be provided by the Crocker Art Museum. The reception will be held on the Crocker’ Pay What You Wish Sunday (sponsored by Western Health Advantage), so you are encouraged to invite as many people to the reception as you wish.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
October 1, 2019 Entry period begins.
December 29, 2019 Entry period ends at midnight.
January 6-27, 2020 Jury will review images for acceptance
January 31, 2020 Photographers notified of accepted and not accepted entries.
February 28, 2020 Matted images for the Student Exhibition must be delivered to your Photography faculty
March 26, 2020 Exhibition Opens at the Crocker Art Museum
April 19, 2020 Exhibition Reception and Award of Prizes at the Crocker Art Museum 1:00-2:30pm
April 26, 2020 Last day of the Exhibition
April 29-May8 Images will be returned to each campus for students to pick up.